Meet Dr. Courtney Schott
PhD, DVM, DACVP
Keywords: Chemoresistance, Diagnostic/Prognostic Biomarkers, Comparative Oncology/Pathology, Mechanisms of Metastasis
Profile(s): University of California – San Francisco
- Postdoctoral Scholar – University of California San Francisco, School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
Education and Employment Background:
- BSc (Animal Biology) – University of Guelph, Guelph, ON Canada (06/2006)
- DVM – Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON Canada (06/2012)
- PhD (Cancer Biology) – Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON Canada (07/2018)
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists (DACVP, Anatomic Pathology) (09/2018)
- Postdoctoral Scholar (Pediatric Oncology) – School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco (current)
Research Themes & Interests:
Dr. Schott’s research focuses on canine and pediatric bone cancer with a particular interest in metastasis and chemoresistance. Her goal is to identify mechanisms that drive the metastatic spread of cancer and then to determine whether targeting these mechanisms can enhance cancer therapy to improve patient outcome. In addition, she is interested is in the identification of biomarkers that aid with cancer diagnosis and/or prognosis as wells as those that guide treatment decisions.
- Cross-species genomic landscape comparison of human mucosal melanoma with canine oral and equine melanoma. Nat Commun. 2019 01 21; 10(1):353. Wong K, van der Weyden L, Schott CR, Foote A, Constantino-Casas F, Smith S, Dobson JM, Murchison EP, Wu H, Yeh I, Fullen DR, Joseph N, Bastian BC, Patel RM, Martincorena I, Robles-Espinoza CD, Iyer V, Kuijjer ML, Arends MJ, Brenn T, Harms PW, Wood GA, Adams DJ. PMID: 30664638.
- An evaluation of TAZ and YAP crosstalk with TGFß signalling in canine osteosarcoma suggests involvement of hippo signalling in disease progression. BMC Vet Res. 2018 Nov 26; 14(1):365. Luu AK, Schott CR, Jones R, Poon AC, Golding B, Hamed R, Deheshi B, Mutsaers A, Wood GA, Viloria-Petit AM. PMID: 30477496.
- The autophagy inhibitor spautin-1, either alone or combined with doxorubicin, decreases cell survival and colony formation in canine appendicular osteosarcoma cells. PLoS One. 2018; 13(10):e0206427. Schott CR, Ludwig L, Mutsaers AJ, Foster RA, Wood GA. PMID: 30372478.
- Evaluation of metronomic cyclophosphamide chemotherapy as maintenance treatment for dogs with appendicular osteosarcoma following limb amputation and carboplatin chemotherapy. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2018 Jun 01; 252(11):1377-1383. Matsuyama A, Schott CR, Wood GA, Richardson D, Woods JP, Mutsaers AJ. PMID: 29772973.
- Histologic Grade Does Not Predict Outcome in Dogs with Appendicular Osteosarcoma Receiving the Standard of Care. Vet Pathol. 2018 03; 55(2):202-211. Schott CR, Tatiersky LJ, Foster RA, Wood GA. PMID: 29284372.
- Hydrogen peroxide production and free radical-mediated cell stress in Mycoplasma bovis pneumonia. J Comp Pathol. 2014 Feb-Apr; 150(2-3):127-37. Schott C, Cai H, Parker L, Bateman KG, Caswell JL. PMID: 24064048.
- Bactericidal activity of tracheal antimicrobial peptide against respiratory pathogens of cattle. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2013 Apr 15; 152(3-4):289-94. Taha-Abdelaziz K, Perez-Casal J, Schott C, Hsiao J, Attah-Poku S, Slavic D, Caswell JL. PMID: 23333196.
- Prevalence and genotype of Mycoplasma bovis in beef cattle after arrival at a feedlot. Am J Vet Res. 2012 Dec; 73(12):1932-43. Castillo-Alcala F, Bateman KG, Cai HY, Schott CR, Parker L, Clark ME, McRaild P, McDowall RM, Foster RA, Archambault M, Caswell JL. PMID: 23176420.
- Making the grade: How well do canine osteosarcoma grading systems predict outcome? (OVC News Bulletin, 2019)
- Current Advances in the Science of Osteosarcoma: Genomic Complexity of Osteosarcoma and Its Implication for Preclinical and Clinical Targeted Therapies (Book chapter, 2020)
- 2020 Rally Foundation for Childhood Cancer Research Postdoctoral and Clinical Research Fellow Grant Recipient (https://rallyfoundation.org/fy20-grant-announcement/)
Office: Currently at the University of California San Francisco until 2021
Ontario Veterinary College
University of Guelph
50 Stone Road E.,
Guelph, ON, Canada, N1G 2W1