Meet Dr. Darren Wood
DVM, DVSc, DACVP
Keywords: companion animal hematology, hemostasis, microRNA in canine lymphoma
Profile(s): Department of Pathobiology
- Associate Professor – Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph ON
- Veterinary Clinical Pathologist – Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph ON
- Co-supervisor – OVC Comparative Hemostasis Laboratory, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph ON
Seeking Academic or Industry Partnerships in the Areas of: microRNA biomarkers
Education and Employment Background:
- DVM – Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, PEI
- DVSc – Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON
- Diplomate – American College of Veterinary Pathologists (ACVP)
Research Themes & Interests:
- Canine and Feline Hemostasis/Hematology:
- canine von Willebrand disease
- canine immune mediated hemolytic anemia
- characterization of canine protein C
- storage lesion in transfusion products
- avian hemostasis
- microRNA in canine lymphoma
- applied hemostasis method validation
Recent Research Focuses & Partnerships:
- Craig, K., Wood, G., Keller, S., Mutsaers, A., & Wood, R. (2019). MicroRNA profiling in canine multicentric lymphoma. PLoS ONE.
- Cuq, B., Blois, S. L., Wood, R., Monteith, G., Abrams-Ogg, A. C., Christian Bedard. (2018). Reproducibility, stability, and biological variability of thrombin generation using calibrated autmoated thrombography in healthy dogs. Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 47, 218-226, doi: 10.1111/vcp.12602.
- Abrams-Ogg, A., Bienzle, D., Ho, K., Blois, S., Wood, R., Patricia Shewen, Sophia Lim, Helen Kocmarek (2018). Prevalence of antinuclear and anti-erythrocyte antibodies in healthy cats. Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 1-5, doi: 10.1111/vcp.12570.
- Le, K., Beaufrere, H., Chalmers, H., Pinard, C., Wood, D., et al (2017). Retro-orbital and disseminated B-Cell lymphoma in a yellow-collared macaw (Primoliusauricollis). Canadian Veterinary Journal, 58 (7), 707-712.
- Saati, S., Abrams-Ogg, A., Blois, S., & Wood, R. (2017). Comparison of Multiplate, Platelet Function Analyzer-200, and Plateletworks in healthy dogs treated with aspirin and clopidogrel. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine., doi: 10.1111/jvim.14886.
- Kubik, A. M., O’Sullivan, T. L., Harding, J. C., Wood, R., & Friendship, R. M. (2017). Hematology and biochemistry reference values of Ontario commercial nursing pigs close to the time of weaning. Canadian Veterinary Journal, 58, 371-376.
- Westgarth, S., Blois, S., Wood, R., Verbrugghe, A., & Ma, D. (2017). Effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and aspirin, alone and combined, on canine platelet function.Journal of Small Animal Practice, 1-9, doi: 10.1111/jsap.12776.
- Wong, V., Cote, O., Bienzle, D., Hayes, A., & Wood, R. (2016). Endothelial protein C receptor-dependent anti-chemotactic effects of canine protein C. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 78 (2), 186-194.
- Calvalido, J., Wood, R., Woods, P., Mutsaers, A., & Wood, G. (2016). Comparison of serum cytokine levels between dogs with multicentric lymphoma and healthy dogs. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, 182, 106-114.
- Kim, S. D., Baker, P., Delay, J., & Wood, R. (2016). Thrombomodulin expression in tissues from dogs with systemic inflammatory disease. Veterinary Pathology, 53 (4), 797-802.
- Wood, R., Hayes, G., Gibson, T., Nykamp, S., Moens, N., Robert Foster (2016). Evaluation of the effect of intra-articular implantation of gentamicin impregnated collagen sponge (GICS) on joint inflammation and renal function in dogs. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology, 29 (2), 159-163.
- Furness, C., Wood, R., & Arroyo, L. (2016). Acute myeloid leukemia with basophilic differentiation in a 3 year-old Standardbred gelding.Canadian Veterinary Journal.
- Ho, K. K., Abrams-Ogg, A. C., Wood, R., O’Sullivan, L., Kirby, G. M., Shauna L. Blois (2016). Assessment of platelet function in healthy cats in response to commonly prescribed antiplatelet drugs using three point-of-care platelet function tests. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 1-10, doi: 10.1177/1098612X16648182.
- Blois, S. L., Lang, S. T., Wood, R., & Monteith, G. (2015). Biological variability and correlation of platelet function testing in healthy dogs. Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 44 (4), 503-510.
- PubMed Compilation for Dr. Darren Wood: Link Out
- DVM Program
- VETM*3450 Principles of Disease in Veterinary Medicine (Measurement and Testing, Hematology and Cytology)
- Diagnostic Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Rotation (Hematology, Integrated Case Discussions)
- Phase II Leader
- Graduate Program
- PABI*6030, 6040, 6041 Applied Clinical Pathology I, II, III
- PABI*6300, 6320 Clinical Pathology I, II
- PABI*6104 Mechanisms of Disease (Hemostasis and Thrombosis)
- Teaching Awards
- 2019 – ASVCP Educator Award, American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology
- 2020 – CVMA Teacher of the Year Award
- DVM Program
Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 54654
Office: PAHL 3801
Ontario Veterinary College
University of Guelph
50 Stone Road E.,
Guelph, ON, Canada, N1G 2W1