Meet Dr. Geoff Wood
- Associate Professor – Department of Pathobiology, University of Guelph, Ontario Veterinary College)
- Assistant Co-Director – Institute for Comparative Cancer Investigation
Seeking Partnerships in the Areas of:
Cancer biomarkers in companion animals for early detection and outcome prediction, One Health Cross-species cancer genetics, Cancer in wildlife
Research Themes & Interests:
- Pathology of neoplasia
- Multi-species comparative cancer genetics
- Biomarkers of cancer in dogs
- Mouse models of human cancer
Geoff Wood’s overall research goal is to improve cancer diagnostics and treatment in veterinary species as well as humans by employing a One Health approach. He is particularly interested in using blood microRNAs a biomarkers of cancer, and has established tissue microarrays of various cancer types to look for novel prognostic proteins and/or therapeutic targets. With his collaborators, he uses cross-species cancer genetics to look for mutations that are common or disparate across multiple species including humans.
- Craig KKL, Wood GA, Keller SM, Mutsaers AJ, Wood RD. MicroRNA profiling in canine multicentric lymphoma. PLoS One. 2019 Dec 11;14(12):e0226357
- van der Weyden L, Starkey M, Abu-Helil B, Mutsaers AJ, Wood GA. Companion canines: an under-utilised model to aid in translating anti-metastatics to the clinic. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2020 Feb;37(1):7-12.
- Geread RS, Morreale P, Dony RD, Brouwer E, Wood GA, Androutsos D, Khademi A. IHC Color Histograms for Unsupervised Ki67 Proliferation Index Calculation. Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2019 Oct 1;7:226.
- Muñoz R, Hileeto D, Cruz-Muñoz W, Wood GA, Xu P, Man S, Viloria-Petit A, Kerbel RS. Suppressive impact of metronomic chemotherapy using UFT and/or cyclophosphamide on mediators of breast cancer dissemination and invasion. PLoS One. 2019 Sep 19;14(9):e0222580.
- Palmieri C, Foster RA, Grieco V, Fonseca-Alves CE, Wood GA, Culp WTN, Murua Escobar H, De Marzo AM, Laufer-Amorim R. Histopathological Terminology Standards for the Reporting of Prostatic Epithelial Lesions in Dogs. J Comp Pathol. 2019 Aug;171:30-37.
- Wright T, Brisson BA, Wood GA, Oblak M, Mutsaers AJ, Sabine V, Skowronski K, Belanger C, Tiessen A, Bienzle D. Flow Cytometric Detection of Circulating Osteosarcoma Cells in Dogs. Cytometry A. 2019 Sep;95(9):997-1007.
- Wong K, van der Weyden L, Schott CR, Foote A, Constantino-Casas F, Smith S, Dobson JM, Murchison EP, Wu H, Yeh I, Fullen DR, Joseph N, Bastian BC, Patel RM, Martincorena I, Robles-Espinoza CD, Iyer V, Kuijjer ML, Arends MJ, Brenn T, Harms PW, Wood GA, Adams DJ. Cross-species genomic landscape comparison of human mucosal melanoma with canine oral and equine melanoma. Nat Commun. 2019 Jan 21;10(1):353.
- Hoddinott K, Oblak ML, Wood GA, Boston S, Mutsaers AJ. Evaluation of effects of radiation therapy combined with either pamidronate or zoledronate on canine osteosarcoma cells. Can J Vet Res. 2019 Jan;83(1):3-10.
- Luu AK, Schott CR, Jones R, Poon AC, Golding B, Hamed R, Deheshi B, Mutsaers A, Wood GA, Viloria-Petit AM. An evaluation of TAZ and YAP crosstalk with TGFβ signalling in canine osteosarcoma suggests involvement of hippo signalling in disease progression. BMC Vet Res. 2018 Nov 26;14(1):365.
- Schott CR, Ludwig L, Mutsaers AJ, Foster RA, Wood GA. The autophagy inhibitor spautin-1, either alone or combined with doxorubicin, decreases cell survival and colony formation in canine appendicular osteosarcoma cells. PLoS One. 2018 Oct 29;13(10):e0206427.
- Shao YW, Wood GA, Lu J, Tang QL, Liu J, Molyneux S, Chen Y, Fang H, Adissu H, McKee T, Waterhouse P, Khokha R. Cross-species genomics identifies DLG2 as a tumor suppressor in osteosarcoma. Oncogene. 2019 Jan;38(2):291-298.
- Matsuyama A, Schott CR, Wood GA, Richardson D, Woods JP, Mutsaers AJ. Evaluation of metronomic cyclophosphamide chemotherapy as maintenance treatment for dogs with appendicular osteosarcoma following limb amputation and carboplatin chemotherapy. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2018 Jun 1;252(11):1377-1383.
- Cuq B, Blois SL, Wood RD, Monteith G, Abrams-Ogg AC, Bédard C, Wood GA. Reproducibility, stability, and biological variability of thrombin generation using calibrated automated thrombography in healthy dogs. Vet Clin Pathol. 2018 Jun;47(2):218-226.
- Schott CR, Tatiersky LJ, Foster RA, Wood GA. Histologic Grade Does Not Predict Outcome in Dogs with Appendicular Osteosarcoma Receiving the Standard of Care. Vet Pathol. 2018 Mar;55(2):202-211.
- Liu J, Abdelmagid SA, Pinelli CJ, Monk JM, Liddle DM, Hillyer LM, Hucik B, Silva A, Subedi S, Wood GA, Robinson LE, Muller WJ, Ma DWL. Marine fish oil is more potent than plant-based n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the prevention of mammary tumors. J Nutr Biochem. 2018 May;55:41-52.
- Santry LA, McAusland TM, Susta L, Wood GA, Major PP, Petrik JJ, Bridle BW, Wootton SK. Production and Purification of High-Titer Newcastle Disease Virus for Use in Preclinical Mouse Models of Cancer. Mol Ther Methods Clin Dev. 2017 Oct 16;9:181-191.
- Search PubMed for additional publications by Dr. Wood.
- Overcoming cancer cells’ resistance to chemotherapy in canine osteosarcoma (Smiling Blue Skies Cancer Fund, 2017)
- Making the grade – how well do canine osteosarcoma systems predict outcome? (OVC News Bulletin, 2019)
- Cross-Species Cancer Comparison Uncovers New Drug Targets, Study Reveals (OVC News Bulletin 2019)
Phone: (519) 824-4120 Ext: 54632
Office: PAHL 3827
Ontario Veterinary College
University of Guelph
50 Stone Road E.,
Guelph, ON, Canada, N1G 2W1