Dr. Paul Woods
DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVIM (Internal Medicine, Oncology)
Links out: University of Guelph Experts, Institute for Comparative Cancer Investigation, Department of Clinical Studies
- Professor of Internal Medicine and Oncology – Department of Clinical Studies, University of Guelph, Ontario Veterinary College
- Co-Director – Institute for Comparative Cancer Investigation (ICCI), University of Guelph
Keywords: Clinical Trials, Comparative Oncology, Comparative Oncology Therapeutics, Infectious Disease, Novel Oncology Diagnoses, Translational Medicine
Education and Employment Background:
- DVM – Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (Ontario Veterinary College, Guelph, Ontario)
- MS – Veterinary Science (University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI)
- Small Animal Internal Medicine Residency (University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI)
- Veterinary Medical Oncology Residency (University of Guelph/Colorado State University)
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM) – Internal Medicine, Oncology
Research Themes & Interests
Dr. Woods’ research focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of translationally relevant spontaneously arising cancer in cats and dogs. He facilitates clinical trials both as a Primary Investigator PI and as co-investigator with other clinical researchers, e.g. National Institute of Health Comparative Oncology Trials Consortium (NIH-COTC). He also clinically coordinates the Companion Animal Tumour Sample Bank (CATSB) which collects biologic specimen for future cancer research using companion animal cancers.
Recent Research Focuses & Partnerships
- PD-1/PD-L1 Expression in dogs with Urothelial carcinoma (transitional cell carcinoma) – investigation of the involvement of PD-1/PD-L1 and the effects of cytokine expression on its activity in the peripheral and urine lymphocytes in canine with urothelial carcinoma in collaboration with Doctors Sam Hocker, Chris Pinard, Anthony Mutsaers, Byram Bridle.
- Gastrointestinal lesions and bleeding in dogs with mast cell tumours – assessing gastronintestinal lesions using video capsule endoscopy to correlate degree/presence of GI lesions with plasma histamine & disease progress and c-kit status in collaboration with Dr. Roman Husknik.
- Identification of response to chemotherapy in relapsed canine lymphoma patients – evaluating RNA parameters as possible predictive factors for how well a dog is responding to chemotherapy for canine lymphoma in collaboration with Dr. Brenda Coomber.
- Pinard CL, Mutsaers AJ, Mayer MN, Woods JP. Retrospective study and review of ocular radiation side effects following external-beam Cobalt-60 radiation therapy in 37 dogs and 12 cats Can Vet J 53(12):1301-1307, 2012.
- Oblak ML, Boston SE, Higginson G, Patten SG, Monteith GJ, Woods JP. The impact of pamidronate and chemotherapy on survival times in dogs with appendicular primary bone tumors treated with palliative radiation therapy. Vet Surg. 41(3):430-520, 2012.
- Oblak ML, Boston SE, Woods JP, Nykamp S. Comparison of concurrent imaging modalities in staging of dogs with appendicular osteosarcoma Veterinary and Comparative Oncology. Vet Comp Oncol. 13(1):28-39, 2015.
- Saba C, Paoloni M, Mazcko C, Kisseberth W, Burton JH, Smith A, Wilson-Robles H, Allstadt S, Vail D, Henry C, Lana S, Ehrhart EJ, Charles, B, Kent M, Lawrence J, Burgess K, Borgatti A, Suter S, Woods, J. Paul, Gordon I, Vrignaud P, Khanna C, LeBlanc AK. (2016). A comparative oncology study of Iniparib defines its pharmacokinetic profile and biological activity in a naturally-occurring canine cancer model PLoS ONE 11(2): e0149194. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0149194
- Rajagopaul, S, Parr, JM, Woods, JP, Pearl, DL, Coe, JB, Verbrugghe, A. Owners’ attitudes and practices regarding nutrition of dogs diagnosed with cancer presenting at a referral oncology service in Ontario, Canada. J Small Anim Pract 2016 Sep;57(9):484-90. doi: 10.1111/jsap.12526.
- Story AL, Boston SE, Kilkenny JJ, Singh A, Woods JP, Culp B, Skorupski KA, Lu X, Evaluation of weight change during carboplatin therapy in dogs with appendicular osteosarcoma, Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine Jul;31(4):1159-1162. doi: 10.1111/jvim.14724. Epub 2017 May 15
- Calvalido J, Wood G, Mutsaers A, Wood D, Sears W, J Paul Woods, (2016). Comparison of serum cytokine levels between dogs with multicentric lymphoma and healthy dogs, Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology Dec;182:106-114. doi: 10.1016/j.vetimm.2016.10.009. Epub 2016 Oct 19
- Matsuyama A, Woods JP, Mutsaers AJ. Evaluation of toxicity of a chronic alternate day metronomic cyclophosphamide chemotherapy protocol in dogs with naturally occurring cancer. Can Vet J. 2017 Jan;58(1):51-55. PMID: 28042155
- Deravi N, Berke O, Woods J Paul, Bienzle D. Specific immunotypes of canine T cell lymphoma are associated with different outcomes Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 191:5-13, 2017. PMID: 28895866
- Matsuyama A, Woods JP, Mutsaers AJ. Evaluation of toxicity of a chronic alternate day metronomic cyclophosphamide chemotherapy protocol in dogs with naturally occurring cancer, Canadian Veterinary Journal Jan;58(1):51-55, 2017. PMID: 28042155
- Weidner N, Woods J Paul, Conlon P, Meckling K, Atkinson J, Bayle J, Makowski A, Horst R, Verbrugghe A. Influence of various factors on circulating 25(OH)vitamin D concentrations in dogs with cancer and healthy dogs, J Vet Intern Med. 2017 Nov;31(6):1796-1803. doi: 10.1111/jvim.14834. Epub 2017 Sep 23. PMID: 28941306
- Bridle B, Hummel J, Bienzle D, Morrison A, Cieplak M, Stephenson K, DeLay J, Woods J Paul, Lichty B. (2017) Maraba virus-vectored cancer vaccines represent a safe and novel therapeutic option for cats Sci Rep. 2017 Nov 16;7(1):15738. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-15992-4. PMID: 29146945
- Matsuyama A, Schott CR, Wood GA, Richardson D, Woods JP, Mutsaers AJ. Evaluation of metronomic cyclophosphamide chemotherapy as maintenance treatment for dogs with appendicular osteosarcoma following limb amputation and carboplatin chemotherapy. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2018 Jun 1;252(11):1377-1383. doi: 10.2460/javma.252.11.1377. PMID: 29772973
- Kim C, Matsuyama A, Mutsaers AJ, Woods JP. Retrospective evaluation of toceranib (Palladia) treatment for canine metastatic appendicular osteosarcoma. Can Vet J. 2017 Oct;58(10):1059-1064. PMID: 28966355
- Parissenti AM, Pritzker LB, Guo B, Narendrula R, Wang SX, Lin LL, Pei J, Skowronski K, Bienzle D, Woods JP, Pritzker KPH, Coomber BL. RNA disruption indicates CHOP therapy efficacy in canine lymphoma. BMC Vet Res. 2019 Dec 16;15(1):453. doi: 10.1186/s12917-019-2189-x. PMID: 31842875
- Fenger JM, Eward WC, Hendricks WPD, McNiel EA, Johannes C, Richard SB, Treml LS, Bruyette D, Mutsaers AJ, Woods JP, Clifford CA, Simons T, Zipfel S, Kang W, Thamm MD, Dybda N, Lappin M, Khanna C. Delivering Innovation to Oncology Drug Development Through Cancer Drug DISCO (Development Incentive Strategy using Comparative Oncology): Perspectives, Gaps and Solutions. Ann Med Clin Oncol 2020 3: 120. DOI: 10.29011/AMCO-120.000120
- Bianco AV, Abood S, Mutsaers A, Woods JP, Coe JB, Verbrugghe A. Unconventional diets and nutritional supplements are more common in dogs with cancer compared to healthy dogs: An online global survey of 345 dog owners. Veterinary and Comparative Oncology 17 April 2020 https://doi.org/10.1111/vco.12599 Online ahead of print. PMID: 32304175
- Search PubMed for additional publications by Dr. Woods.
Phone: (519) 824-4120 ext. 54092
Office: CS 2133
Ontario Veterinary College
University of Guelph
50 Stone Road E.,
Guelph, ON, Canada, N1G 2W1